Centre de formation continue et en
ligne de La Cité
French as a second language courses
What is a "unité d'apprentissage"?
- Micro-modules that are short and engaging. They focus on practicing and perfecting particular concepts. In each module, learners will complete repetitive grammar exercises using target vocabulary in authentic situations, enhancing the power of retention and recall.
- Micro-modules focus on perfecting specific skills. This gives you the flexibility of choosing which content area you want to target for improvement.
How long is each module?
- 15 hour learning modules delivered over a five-week period.
Are all modules offered every session?
- The complete Beginner and Intermediate series will be offered between October and May on Tuesday and/or Wednesday evenings from 6 pm – 9 pm at the La Cité campus on Aviation Parkway.
Suggested schedule: Session 1 October – November Unité 1 and Unité 6 Session 2 November December Unité 2 and Unité 7 Session 3 January - February Unité 3 and Unité 8 Session 4 February – March Unité 4 and Unité 9 Session 5 April – May Unité 5 and Unité 10
- Additional modules will be offered in each session depending on registration requests. These will be determined prior to each session.
Do I have to complete the modules in order?
While the beginner modules are progressive, grammar skills are repeated and reinforced throughout this series, allowing for some flexibility. Modules in the Intermediate series focus on perfecting particular grammar skills, more specifically correct use of verb tenses. If you have trouble distinguishing when to use passé composé vs imparfait, you may choose to enroll in that module. Likewise, if you want to focus on correct form and use of conditional tenses, you can enroll in that module.
Beginner series 1 – 5
These five modules will deepen your understanding and knowledge of basic phrases, and tenses used to communicate at a beginners level in a second language. By enrolling in beginner level modules, you will gain the capacity to start and end conversations in both formal and informal scenarios, ask for clarification, give orders, provide or ask for directions, and communicate an understanding or misunderstanding in a variety of settings. You will enrich your vocabulary through themed units.
Intermediate series 6 – 10
Modules in the Intermediate series focus on perfecting particular grammar skills, more specifically perfecting an understanding of the appropriate uses of verb tenses. You will focus on the differences between a variety of tenses (present, past tense, imperfect...), and determine ways of recognizing which tense should be used, while also constructing more complex phrases. You will enrich your vocabulary through practical and authentic learning scenarios.
How do I know what module to sign up for? (Coming soon)
- Module descriptions and objectives give you the flexibility to choose your course. This approach puts you in charge of your learning path.
- Modules have a series of I CAN STATEMENTS that indicate target learning objectives. Complete the checklist to determine where you should begin.
- Module assessments are completed to determine if you have mastered objectives.
Can I repeat modules?
- You can repeat any module in an effort to improve your skills. While the course objectives remain the same, no class is ever the same as different students bring different experiences and skill sets to class.
For more information :